Sunday, January 30, 2011

Something New...

Ever since I can remember, I have been a news junkie. I love anything having to do with politics and history. I largely credit this addiction to my parents. I still remember breakfasts with my parents and the little box shaped transistor radio sitting in the middle of the table droning on and Paul Harvey's distinctive voice always signing off 'Good Day' and the inevitable discussions that followed. I still remember watching war footage at dinner time, RFK's and MLK's assassinations, Nixon's speeches as a candidate in '68, Angela Davis' trial, Watergate, Iran Contra, and much, much more. More often than not, periods in my life are often referenced in context to what was in the news at the time.

News is simply history forming. Each event is layered upon layers of entwined cause and effect, built upon and entwined with the layers that came before. There is a logic, a beauty to such things. The patterns are always there, in fact, everywhere; patterns mirrored in literature, art, popular culture, science, technology, economics, even in our families and personal relationships. And yet, because these patterns involve people, there is always a certain amount of 'un'certainty. It is the people factor that makes it all infinitely fascinating!!

And so, on the suggestion, or should I say prodding of a very good friend and his gentle reminder of where my passion lies, it time for new discoveries and to try 'something new'. I hope you come along for the ride!

1 comment:

  1. What a great start to a new life chapter. I am honored and excited to come along for that ride

    ReplyDelete